John Jauncey


John Jauncey was born during the 1760s. He was the only son born to the marriage of John Jauncey, Jr. and Elizabeth Hicks. His grandfather was a ship captain and his mariner father died at sea in 1767. His mother was the daughter of a prominent Hempstead (Long Island) family.

We seek information on his earlier life - prior to arriving in Albany. We are careful to avoid confusing this individual with same-named contemporaries. He probably was the kinsman of condemned Tory James Jauncey.

In July 1789, this John Jauncey married Elsie Cuyler (possibly Kugler and not a member of the prominent Albany Cuyler family) at the Albany Dutch church. Their first child was christened at St. Peter's Anglican church in April 1790. John Jauncey was confirmed at St. Peters in September 1791. By 1807, the marriage had produced a number of children.

In 1788, the firm of "Jauncey & Given" shared a riverside property. The census in 1790 noted three females and a slave in his household. In 1800, his third ward home included eight residents and four slaves. Beginning in 1799, his diverse and substantial holdings in Albany were valued on city assessment rolls. His lots, wharves, store, and house "he occupies" - all in the third ward, were accorded more than moderate assessments. He held the waterfront properties as "Jauncey & Hoyt." He was an active participant in the Albany-based real estate market.

In December 1790, the Albany Gazette noted that he was a merchant (dealing in glassware) and was located at 23 Market Street. Subsequent freeholder and jury lists identified him as merchant based in the third ward.

In 1792, he was among the trustees petitioning for incorporation of the Albany Library. In 1794, he was among the notables who subscribed in support of Union College.

In 1793, he was elected assistant alderman. In 1802, he was elected alderman for the second ward.

After the early 1800s, his name seems to be missing from the community record. However, between 1818 and 1820, he was identified as an "auctioneer" and listed with John Jauncey, Jr. in the city directories at 63 Washington Street and his store at 99 State. The Albany census in 1820, listed three males and five females in his household. After that, his name no longer appeared on Albany rolls.

John Jauncey died in Auburn in 1831. His widow is said to have survived him by many years.

biography in-progress


the people of colonial Albany Sources: The life of John Jauncey has not been assigned a CAP biography number. This sketch is derived chiefly from family and community-based resources. The standard work on the family was issued in 1876.

first posted: 2/10/09