Image Map of Albany in 1770
(Click on any feature)

click anywhere for community features
Schuyler Mansion the Pastures tip of Castle Island Beaverkill King's Highway to Schenectady Schuyler House Elm Tree corner of State and Pearl St. Peter's Anglican church the Albany fort Dutch Reformed church City Hall - aka the Stadt Huys Market House lower Columbia Street upper Columbia Street City line Watervliet Watervliet British army hospital Second Ward Albany on the eve of the Revolution John Stevenson's new house new Masonic Lodge The Ruttenkill The Ruttenkill road to Wendell's mills Presbyterian Meeting House Captain John Fryer's home Southside - taverns and inns path or road to the Pastures Lutheran Church Hendrick Hallenbeck's estate - 1764 Pearl beyond Columbia Street Columbia St. State or Jonker Street upper reaches of Foxes Creek Foxes Creek or the Vosenkill Foxes Creek flowed under Pearl Street Foxes Creek flats Tanning pits along Foxes Creek Arbor Hill The Woutenbergh City Hall Dock North or Ten Broeck's Dock Gansevoort's Dock and Maiden Lane ferry disputed land between Albany and Rensselaerswyck Road to the Van Rensselaer Manor House the South Ferry


This version of Robert Yates’s Plan of the City of Albany is the one most often seen by students of Albany history. However, it is not the map made by Yates in 1770 but an engraved and almost identical copy of the more faded and much less distinct manuscript map held in the Gerrit Yates Lansing collection at the New York State Library. This widely distributed engraving was the work of nineteenth century Albany lithographer Richard H. Pease. Printed in a number of historical works over the past 150 years, most people believe that it is the original map. Many of the historical portraits, maps, and cityscapes most often seen in publications are not the original representation but instead a much later rendering that have been made into more viewer-friendly graphics by Victorian lithographers.

Back to Description of Albany in 1770

Maps of the city

Home | Site Index | Navigation | Email | New York State Museum

first posted: 01/25/02