Joachim Staats
Stefan Bielinski

Joachim Staats was born in 1654. He was the second son of Beverwyck founders Abraham and Tryntje Jochems Wessels Staats. His father was a surgeon, successful fur trader, and landholder who provided resources for Joachim and his siblings to follow their father to the top of Albany-based success pyramids.

As early as 1679, he was identified as an Albany householder. His first ward home was valued on subsequent assessment rolls. Perhaps his holdings represented lots obtained years earlier from his father-in-law!

By 1680, Joachim had married Anna Rynderts. By 1701, the marriage had produced at least nine children who were christened in New York City and at the Albany Dutch church where Joachim was a member and church officer. Anna Staats died and Joachim re-married in 1708. His second wife was widow Francina Lewis - daughter of the late Jacob Leisler. That marriage may have produced a daughter. In April 1683, he was among the six living children named in the will filed by his father.

In 1686, he was named in the Albany city charter as an assistant alderman. He seemed to be on the ascendancy in Albany until he made the unfortunate choice of allying himself with the insurgency of Jacob Leisler. Although pardoned by the provincial government in 1691, he was unable to re-establish himself in any leadership capacity. For the next two decades, he split time between Albany and New York residency. While courting his second wife, he became ill. Suffering paralysis, he spent an extended period of time in Manhattan.

Joachim Staats probably died in January 1712. Apparently dying intestate, letters of administration for his estate were granted to eldest son, Barent, on April 18, 1712. However, his so-called will created controversy that lasted into the 1760s.

biography in-progress


the people of colonial Albany Sources: The life of Joachim Staats is CAP biography number 4558. This sketch is derived chiefly from family and community-based resources.

Traditional sources set the marriage date as April 4, 1678.

Home | Site Index | Navigation | Email | New York State Museum

first posted: 2/10/05; updated 10/30/08