Hendrick Hallenbeck
Stefan Bielinski

Hendrick Hallenbeck was born in 1692. He was the son of Albany residents Isaac Casperse and Dorothy Bosch Hallenbeck. He grew up in a large family in the first ward but lost his father in 1709.

He married Susanna Bradt in 1718. By 1746, thirteen of their children had been baptized in the Albany Dutch church where Hendrick was a frequent baptism sponsor.

Many years later, Hendrick called himself a "yeoman." Although his primary occupation escapes more precise definition, he was a moderately successful holder of extensive lands stretching south and east from the city's settled core. He belonged to the city militia company and served as firemaster and constable in the first ward. In 1730, he was appointed high constable. From about 1720 until his death, Hendrick Hallenbeck was an Albany mainstay.

This family set up their home on Albany's Southside in a home formerly owned by a garrison officer. In time, his holdings may have extended across the entire southeastern part of the city - from what became Hallenbeck Street, across South Pearl, and east to the river; and, from about Hudson Street all the way to the Beaverkill. How he acquired such a large tract of city land is not immediately clear.

Hendrick Hallenbeck died in July 1766. His will passed probate a month later. It devised a substantial estate to his wife and then among a large family. It also established a family burial ground along South Pearl Street! His widow probably was buried there in 1787.



the people of colonial Albany Sources: The life of Hendrick/Henry Hallenbeck/Halenbeek is CAP biography number 5674. This profile is derived chiefly from family and community-based resources.

Mainstay: Hendrick Hallenbeck was included on lists of freeman (qualified voters) in 1720, 1742, and 1763. However, Hallenbeck does not appear on the census of householders taken in 1756 unless his was the house attributed to "Hendrick Holmes" and was listed next to that of his son-in-law. His widow's name appears on the city assessment rolls for 1766 and '67!

Home | Site Index | Navigation | Email | New York State Museum

first posted 3/1/03; last revised 8/24/13