John A. Goewy
This John Goewy was born on April 22, 1772. He was christened at the Albany Dutch church a month later as the son of Andries and Florena (Glorena) Young Goewy. He most often was referred to as John A. Goewy.
In 1799, his shop in the third ward was valued modestly. In 1809, both his Market Street shop and a vacant lot on Orange Street were listed on the third ward assessment roll. In November 1816, John A. and Rachel sold a lot in an unspecified location.
He was listed as a saddler in the first Albany city directory in 1813. At that time and afterwards, his address was given as 14 Market and then as 209 North Market Streets - probably the same address near the evolving northern city line.
He died in June 1828 and was buried in the Dutch church plot. His will passed probate a month later. John A. Goewy was buried alongside his wife "Rachel DeForest" who had died eight years earlier. John A. Goewy had lived more that fifty-six years. Their final resting place has been listed as the Albany Rural Cemetery.
Sources: The life of John A. Goewy is CAP biography number 5200. This sketch is focused on the North End resident "John A. Goewy" and is derived chiefly from family and community-based resources.
first posted 1/10/17; updated 2/19/17