Abraham Cuyler was born about 1663. He was the second son in the large family of Albany newcomers Hendrick and Anna Schepmoes Cuyler. In 1690, he was named among the heirs in the will filed by his father.
In 1689, he married Albany native Catharina Bleecker. Over the next two decades, most of their eight children were baptized in the Albany Dutch church where both parents were members, frequent baptism sponsors, and where Abraham was a church officer.After briefly residing in the first ward, these Cuylers set up their permanent home on Pearl Street - near both of their families. That property received a substantial valuation in 1709. In time, Abraham expanded his Albany real estate holdings and acquired lands beyond the stockade as well.
Abraham Cuyler prospered in the fur trade and was elected to the city council - first, in 1692, as an assistant and then as alderman for the second ward. Active in civic affairs for several decades, he headed committees on finances and real estate. His home was a Pearl Street landmark.
Abraham Cuyler lost his wife in April 1734. He filed a will in May 1742. It left extensive real property holdings in Albany , Schenectady, and beyond to his six surviving children. He died in July 1747.
first posted 1/20/03; last revised 7/18/18