Jan Andriese (de Cuyper)
Beverwyck and Albany resident Jan Andriese (de Cuyper) probably was born close to 1650. We seek information on his origins and path to Albany. He sometimes is confused with a similarly named and probably older contemporary whose primary focus was more south of Albany.
In 1683 and afterwards, he was a member of the Albany Dutch church where, during the 1680s and 90s, he witnessed a number of baptisms. The Dutch church records for those years do not mention a spouse or family.
As early as 1667, "Jan Andriese" (along with one "Matewis Abrams") signed a petition asking for a gate to be made running from the river up the hill.
In 1679, he was listed on a census of Albany householders who would be responsible for two rods of the stockade fence. Two years later, "Jan And. Cuyper" was among those Albany "burghers" who were solicited regarding the calling of a second minister.
In 1686, "the cooper" was listed among the assistant alderman. In 1695, he was identified as the third ward assistant. In 1696, "the cooper" was appointed surveyor of weights and measures. However, his name does not seem to have appeared on other obvious community-based survey lists during those years.
In 1701, Jan Andriese was among the Albany area Protestants who signed a petition to the royal governor.
In 1702, his property in the third ward was assessed moderately. After that, his name is missing from the community-based record.
We seek information on the later life and passing of the Albany resident known as "Jan Andriese de Cuyper." Following our most recent sweep of the Internet, we move on for now!
Sources: The life of Jan Andriese (de Cuyper) is CAP biography number 7142. This sketch is derived chiefly from family and community-based resources.
Cuyper is a Dutch language variant of an occupational name meaning cooper or barrel maker
first posted 2/20/14