Melgert Vanderpoel was born during the early 1670s. He was the son of Albany mainstay Melgert Wynantse and his first wife, Ariaantie Verplanck. He was known as "Melgert Melgertse" and "Melgert Vanderpoel, Jr."
In May 1696, he married Catharina Van Allen of Kinderhook. By 1716, the marriage had produced nine children.
These Vanderpoels set up their Albany home near that of his father on the hill near the fort. Melgert Melgertse followed his father in community service as a juror, firemaster, and contractor of the city. In 1715, he was a member of an Albany militia troop. In 1697, his new household was configured on the city census. In 1699, he pledged loyalty to the King of England. Over the next decade, his second ward property was valued on city assessment rolls.
In 1712, Melgert Melgertse was deeded 120 acres of land on the east side of the Hudson, twelve miles south of Albany by his father-in-law. These Vanderpoels then relocated to the Kinderhook area where he became a freeholder and died about 1720.
first posted: 12/15/03