In 1694, he was identified as a shoemaker who had a tan pit on the south side of the "little creek." He inherited that property from his father. In 1712, he was named to share in his mother's estate. Later, he held an additional lot in Rensselaerswyck.
He was a member of the Albany Dutch church which sanctioned his marriage to tailor's daughter Christina Pruyn in 1706. She died after only one son. Then in his forties, by 1713, he had married widow Maria Winne Vandenbergh. By 1722, she had given birth to three Gerritse children.
He served as an assessor for the first ward in 1702 and 1703. However, his name does not seem to appear on Albany assessment rolls for the first decade of the eighteenth century. In 1715, he was identified as a private in John Mingael's company of the Albany County Militia. Five years later, he was listed on a freeholder's list.
Jan Gerritse died in November 1725 and was buried beneath the church. His widow was still living in 1745.
first posted 9/25/02; updated and revised 2/4/18