She probably came to Albany with her husband following the War for Independence. He had become the rector of St. Peter's now Episcopal church.
In 1790, their first ward household included eight family members.
Thomas Ellison died in April 1802. Her name appeared on the assessment roll in that year as the owner of a house and lot on Lodge Street with some personal property.
In 1813, the "widow of the late Thomas Ellison" was listed in the first city directory at 5 Liberty Steet. The following year her address was given as 37 Chapel Street. After that, her name no longer appeared on Albany rolls.
Sources: Because we are uncertain as to her origins, the life of Isabella Ellison has not yet been assigned a CAP biography number. This profile is derived chiefly from community-based resources.
first posted: 9/30/03