Houses on the East side of Court Street in 1686 showing the south gate and stockade, the city hall, and the homes along the street running north to Mayor Pieter Schuyler’s house next to the Ruttenkill. We believe these buildings are typical (at least diagonistic in terms of size and configuration) of the river-level Albany cityscape during the late seventeenth/early eighteenth centuries.
Adapted from Court Street - 1686, a pen-and-ink drawing by historical artist L. F. Tantillo for an exhibit commemorating the 300th anniversary of Albany's chartering as a city in 1986. Collection of Stefan Bielinski.
first posted: 9/26/00; recast and revised 8/4/16