At least part of the Van Woert family of early Albany was descended from Rutger Jacobse Van Schoendwoert who came to New Netherland during the 1630s. His daughter married city father Jan Janse Bleecker and was the matriarch of the Albany Bleecker family. The Van Woert family maintained a small but consistent presence in the city of Albany for more than a century.
In 1742, only placeman Nicholas Van Woert appeared on a city freeholders list. However, four other Van Woerts were listed from Rensselaerswyck. By that time, a part of the family was beginning to cluster near what later would be called Van Woert Street on land leased from the Van Rensselaers whose country seat stood out between the Van Woerts and the river.
In 1813, the first city directory listed a Henry Van Woert and two Van Woert widows in city homes.
Located near the site of the Van Rensselaer Manor House, Van Woert Street is named for the New Netherland era early Albany family who were residents of that area for several generations. The Van Woert family remains notable in Albany and its environs today.
Sources: This access page on the Van Woert family of early Albany has been derived chiefly from family, community-based, and Internet resources. Previously encountered links to the unpublished but reputedly massive "Van Woert Genealogy by Dr. Irving Van Woert (1890-1974) - formerly of Delmar, NY, seem to be broken at this time.
silently opened: 7/15/10; substantially expanded and posted: 7/5/12; last updated: 10/15/12