Peter Mc Hench
In 1779, the name "Mulhench" first appeared on the city assessment roll.
After the war, a "William Mc Hench" was accorded a land bounty right in conjunction with the city militia regiment. We seek information on his wartime activities. Variable name references have made that difficult.
In February 1785, his account for just under four pounds was paid from the city treasury. In 1791, he was listed as a fireman.
In May 1786, he married Agnes or Nancy Boyd in Albany. The marriage is said to have produced five children. At least two of them were christened at the Presbyterian church where, in 1794, he was ordained a deacon. In 1820, he was elected a church elder.
He was a carpenter and also a businessman (unless the merchant was a different Peter M.) probably in partnership with the Boyds.
Beginning with the first issue in 1813, he was identified as a carpenter and listed in the directory at what became 26 South Pearl Street. Maps located him on the northeastern side the intersection with Hudson Street which also was the address of "Boyd and Mc Hench," merchants. Additional Mc Hench family members also lived at that address during and after Peter Sr's. lifetime.
Peter Mc Hench died in October 1822. He was buried in the United Presbyterian Church cemetery plot. His son, William, carried on at the family home while his widow survived until 1851.
Sources: The life of Peter Mc Hench has not been assigned a CAP biography number. This sketch is derived chiefly from family and community-based resources.
first posted: 4/5/10