This Albany-based individual was married - perhaps more than once.
We think that this John Andrews lived in the second ward and first appeared on Albany rolls in 1788 when his Pearl Street home was accorded a moderate assessment. In 1790, his household included a couple and two boys. A decade later only two older men and a woman over forty-five years old were listed in the house on the second ward census.
In October 1787, John Andrews was appointed chimney viewer for the second ward. In June 1788, John Andrews was named constable for the second ward. In March 1798, he was named fire inspector for the second ward.
During the 1790s, he boarded the Lutheran evangelical John C. Hartwick in his Albany home.
In August 1797, John Andrews was listed in a book of freeholders as a merchant and a resident of the second ward.
Beginning in 1813, city directories gave his address as 53 North Pearl Street where he kept a boarding house. Following his death, his widow maintained the business at that address. As late as 1830, the directory entry identified "Christine, the widow of John Andrews", keeping a boarding house at the corner of North Pearl and Steuben.
John Andrews died in April 1816 at the age of eighty-four and was buried in the Episcopal cemetery.
Sources: The life of John Andrews is CAP biography number 7134. This sketch is derived chiefly from family and community-based resources.
Perhaps the "Christine Fisher of Albany city" who married John Andrews at the Albany Presbyterian church in August 1802.
first posted 10/10/08; updated 2/7/15